|Photo 1 | Photo 2 | Photo 3 | Photo 4 | Photo 5 | Photo 6 | Photo 7 | Photo 8 | Photo 9 | Photo 10 | Photo 11 | Further photos on request|
The Soviet Airborne Troops or VDV (from "Vozdushno-desantnye voyska"; Air-landing Forces) was a military branch of the Armed Forces of the Soviet Union and later the Russian Federation. First formed before World War II, the force undertook two significant airborne operations and a number of smaller jumps during the war and for many years after 1945. While in the post-war era the airborne troops were still used altough reduced in number, the creation of the post-war Soviet Airborne Forces owe much to the efforts of General Armii Vasily Margelov in the late 1960s. [Wiki]
This uniform dates to the very early 1960s with buttons marked '61'. The M1958 uniform was introduced in the late 1950s as replacement for the double breasted Zhukov style uniforms. At this time, VDV airborne troops carried the branch colors of the unit to which they were assigned, in this case mechanized troops as indicated by the magenta collar tabs featuring the VDV insignia. Sources tell that the VDV used the sky blue color from 1963 onwards, placing this major tunic in the span of 1961-1963. The tunic is in very good shape, made from brown gabardine with magenta collar tabs with golden edges. The shoulder boards carry a silver star each for the rank of major. The tunic has four holes on the weares right, traces from awards and badges being worn. All four brass buttons are present.
The tunic is a size 52-4, a US42. Needless to say, this is a very rare uniform.
[Go to top]